You know how I like to have a schedule and plan EVERYTHING but that never seems to work. It was so easy to keep a schedule when Vince was working but now that he's retired, we do so many things spur of the moment and that makes it hard to stick to a schedule. I guess it's kinda the same way for all of us retired folks.
But . . my preferred schedule is to make bread on Monday and Thursday. Wednesdays I stitch with Debbie so Mondays and Thursdays are good for making bread. I've also asked Vince to let me know a couple of days ahead of when he's going to need Ezekiel bread and rye bread. I make three loaves of Ezekiel bread and 2 loaves of rye bread at a time.
Yesterday I had started focaccia bread so I was going to finish that today and make hamburger buns so we can have pork burgers Thursday.
I was just about to start breakfast this morning and Vince said "I need Ezekiel bread and rye bread". OK . . forget cooking breakfast. I make about 20 breakfast burritos at a time, wrap them and freeze them for morning like this so I grabbed a couple of those, let them sit out while I started making bread, then baked the burritos and spritzed them with water a few times to keep them from drying out. They were delicious and quick and I'm so happy to have those in the freezer.
This is the recipe I used and it's the best focaccia bread I've ever made. Beware that it needs to sit in the fridge for 18 - 48 hours before baking. I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and it's plenty thick enough to slice for sandwiches. Panera has several sandwiches with focaccia bread and I love them so I'm probably going to make this recipe again for baking Saturday. I did divide this bread into three pieces, wrapped and froze two of the pieces but I like to have several varieties of bread in the freezer and I was out of focaccia so I'll leave that in there and make more.
That's the grains/flours that go into the Ezekiel bread. The recipe I use calls for rye, barley, hard red wheat, millet, lentils, pinto beans and great northern beans. There they all are - freshly milled.
It seems like I'm making these two recipes once a week but I know it only happens about once a month so I'm not really complaining. OK . . I am but mostly because that Ezekiel bread is a gooey dough and I have to use my hands and I hate sticking my hands in gooey stuff.




Do you use fresh milled flour in your focaccia? If so, do you mind sharing any changes you make to the recipe. It sure looks delicious and I want to make it right now!😁
ReplyDeleteYes, I did use whole wheat flour. I added that info to the post I just made this morning. I used 400 grams of hard white and 112 grams of soft white. I shifted the bran out and weighed the flour AFTER sifting. I used 10 grams of instant yeast instead of 8. I also added more water but didn't measure the extra. I added the 455 grams of water that the recipe calls for, then added more without measuring it (sorry) until the dough felt right. Then on the 3rd twist and fold, I added a bit more water. Next time I make it, I'll measure the water I add and share that info. Also, on the bread I made this morning, I left in half the bran. My preference is to leave it all in if I can do so without affecting the taste.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDelete