Are you tired of hearing about canning yet? I never get tired of canning but I do get tired of cleaning up the messes I make while canning.
The chicken "frames" went into the roasters last night and cooked all night so this morning, as soon as we finished breakfast, I got busy canning. I ended up with 21 quarts of broth - which was two canners FULL. The big canner holds 14 quarts and smaller canner holds 7 quarts. Once I got the canner going, I started picking meat off the bones and ended up with 7 pints of meat. As soon as the quarts of broth were finished in the canners, I added cold water to the small canner to cool it down so I could take it outside and wash it, then get the 7 pints of meat in the small canner.
While the canners were going with the broth, I began working on dinner. I plan very easy meals for busy days. Today's plan was baked fish (all I had to do was season it, and bake it), a jar of butternut squash and a jar of Anasazi beans - both were ready to heat and eat. I cut us each a bowl of a variety of sprouts, added some cucumber and cherry tomatoes, a bit of olive oil and balsamic and that was our "salad".
While the meat was canning, I went out and watered the garden, picked a few more squash. Right now it's the Honeynut Butternut squash that's kinda going wild.
There's a lot of time during the canning process when I'm sitting, listening to the canner jiggling. I don't want to get far enough away that I can't hear that but I can leave the door from the basement garage (where I can) to the house and I can hear the canner while sitting and stitching so I got a bit of stitching done today.
I've filled in some of the flowers in the border of GH 1857 but I'm going to put this one aside and get back to Come to the Garden.
This one is Come to the Garden by Teresa Kogut. I think I'll work on this one through the end of July and see how much I can get stitched.
No canning tomorrow. The meals are easy - Breakfast is going to be overnight oats with blueberries and yogurt. I'll fry up some sausage; for dinner Vince is going to grill, I'll bake sweet potatoes, steam broccoli and dinner won't take much effort so I'm hoping to get lots of stitching done tomorrow.
.jpg)
.jpg)

I never get tired hearing about your canning! Glad you were able to get some stitching in while doing so. I love Teresa Kogut's patterns. I bought my first, a patriotic booklet, Saturday at my LNS. I remember Jo stitching Come to the Garden. I think I need to purchase that chart also!
ReplyDelete