Friday, July 17, 2026

July 17, 2026 - Mostly a Day in the Kitchen

 Today was the day I had planned to make salsa. But a bigger priority was making Ezekiel bread and rye bread for Vince. I feel like I have a mental block or something against those breads. I know I say this every time but I really dislike making both of them. I don't like the way the taste. I don't like the way they smell. I don't like the stickiness of the dough! I sound like a complainer, don't I? But really, I have to just stop and do it because my preference is to keep putting it off so before I started the salsas, I got the Ezekiel bread made.


When I remembered to take a picture, the bread was already cool and bagged to go into the freezer. So mature of me to make the bread before he runs out!

Next I made the rye bread. I only have three cast iron pans (I know I say that every time too) so once they cooled, I got the rye dough in the pans to rise.


With the bread made, I could turn my attention to the salsa.

There were enough tomatoes to make a triple recipe, which gave me 10 pints and 1 half pint of salsa. I had everything from the garden except cilantro. It bolted months ago. Vince was going to town and I asked him to get cilantro. 

I doubt I get enough tomatoes to make another triple batch but, based  on what I picked this evening and how many are getting ripe, I should be able to make a double batch and get at least 5 more pints. That will give us enough salsa for the year - until tomatoes are ripe again.

No cross stitching today. I'm going to sit and read for a while and probably go to bed early.

Tomorrow my main project will be getting some of the chicken broth finished and canned. I need to can the candy roaster squash. I've probably picked all there's going to be for this year, but that's a pressure canning project, as is the chicken broth and unless I want two canners going upstairs and two canners going downstairs, that's too much to try to do in one day so . . chicken broth tomorrow and maybe the squash on Sunday.



4 comments:

  1. You have such a productive garden! I realize I'm north of you, but so far I've had absolutely nothing from my garden. I had lots of raspberries growing, but we went to North Carolina for a week to visit family and when we returned last night, all the raspberries were gone. I can only assume the deer had a feast. As we came further north, the smoke from the Canadian fires was amazing. I've never seen smoke so thick everywhere. By the time we got home we were in a maroon zone - the worst it could be. I don't know if the smoke will affect the vegetation, but at least we're getting storms now that will help cut it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm playing catch up so hope you see this. what recipe do you use that can be canned? I have a fermented recipe but hoping our tomatoes will be abundant this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ty very much! i'll make a small batch first and then if we like it make more to can. we're in north wa state so a very short growing season. last year wasn't great so hopefully this garden will produce better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!

August 30, 2026 - Looks Good From a Galloping Horse!

I had a quilting friend years and years ago who wasn't very precise with her cutting or her sewing. It never bothered her and she would ...