Sunday, August 16, 2026

August 16, 2026 - It's SO hot and SO dry!

 I haven't kept up with it but I believe our temps have been above 100 at least since August 1. I don't think we've had rain is about two months. Fall cannot get here quickly enough to suit me.

Please ignore that my weather station seems to be a day off. Today is Saturday, August 15. Maybe the weather station is also anxious for August to end. I will fix it today -- no telling how long it's been off.

Today (Saturday - I started this post yesterday and never finished it!):


Yesterday:


Friday:


The good news is that the basement stays cool, even with the A/C set on 76. The thermostat is upstairs and yes, 76 can get a bit warm up there if I'm cooking but 66 in the basement is cold for me. We stay in the basement (it's a walkout); TV is down here, cross stitching and dongs are down here. 

I usually end up opening a window for a while. Today it's 68 in the basement because (1) I have a window open a bit and (2) I had been cooking upstairs and with the stove going and the thermostat on 76, it got I down to 63 in the basement so the thermostat got changed to 78.  I don't like doing that because it takes forever to bring the temp back down and that's hard on the a/c unit - that's what Vince tells me anyway, but 63 is TOO cold!

The weatherman said today that we likely have 10 - 12 more days of this heat. I'm pretty sure we've been over 100 for at least 30 days and it's been probably two months or longer since we had a drop of rain.

On the local FB groups, there's been so much talk of the high electric bills. Some people in small homes are having bills (one month) over $1,000. I know so much goes into the amount of electricity used - things we can control but a lot that people can't control - homes that aren't insulated, leaky windows, etc. I was nervous about seeing our bill. It was posted this morning and it was not bad at all. Not funny but it made me chuckle - our water bill was more (quite a bit more) than our electric bill. Not sure that's ever happened and definitely not sure the amount of produce I'm growing right now was worth the cost of that much water. I suppose the squash bugs appreciate the water and the squash plants they're ruining!  :(

The experts say this has happened before (this many days without rain and temps above 100) but never when we've lived in this area, which has been 10 years between the first time and this time.

To say I am ready for fall and then some snow would be an understatement!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!

August 16, 2026 - The Next Blackbird Academy Project - Come Into My Garden

I've already written about this project, Come Into My Garden by Blackbird Designs, but I am so excited to get to start it.  The Septembe...