Friday, September 18, 2026

September 18, 2026 - Another Stitching Chair

 I just had to look at my phone to make sure the date was right! How on earth is the first half of September (plus a few days) already gone? Time truly flies.

There has to be a point where I find the perfect stitching chair. Heck, I don't even mind if it isn't perfect . . halfway perfect would make me happy.

In the past five years, I've tried an electric recliner that I didn't like because I got it before we got Oscar and it swiveled and rocked so any move he made while sitting with me caused the chair to wiggle and you know that's not good for stitching.

Next I got a love seat with an ottoman thinking that might work. I don't even remember why I didn't like that one but I didn't.

By then, we had Cooper so I got an oversized recliner and it wasn't comfortable at all for stitching.

Then I got a love seat that had recliners on each end but to put the legs down, you have to use your feet so once I hurt my knee, that didn't work.

I've been using one of the old recliners that the people we bought this house from left (after asking us if we wanted them and we said yes). Now, they're really old and I thought it had gotten terribly uncomfortable so a couple of weeks ago, I moved the love seat over to my stitching spot - the one you have to use your feet to put down, and put the ottoman in front of it so I can rest my legs on the ottoman. Cooper has decided he wants to sleep right at the edge of the chair, half on the ottoman and half on the chair but it doesn't take long until the ottoman has moved just a small amount and Cooper is falling through. I have to put my stitching frame to the side, move the stand that holds the tablet, gently hold on to Cooper while I push the ottoman way with my feet. I know - there are plenty of people in this world who wish their troubles were so small.

Last night I was sitting and thinking . . maybe the problem is that both the reclining love seats and all the recliners kinda lean back a bit when in the reclining position so I'm having to stay hunched over a bit to stitch plus, I keep sliding towards the end of the chair and probably my feet are pushing the ottoman away and that's what's causing Cooper to fall.

I decided what I need is a recliner that the back doesn't lean back when I put the foot/leg rest out. I was thinking even a chaise lounger type chair might work. We were going to town anyway so I asked Vince if he minded going by a furniture store or two. He didn't mind going by a furniture store but he was NOT happy that I wanted yet another chair!

It isn't like I buy new furniture often or just for the sake of having new furniture. Our sofa was 30 years old when we got rid of that. Our breakfast room table is 20+ years old. Pretty much everything we have in this house is 20+ years old and most of our other furniture is even older. If I could find a comfy chair, we'll probably never buy any more furniture.

So, we went to the first furniture store and the lady there showed me the chaise loungers. None of those were what I wanted. I explained about wanting something where the back didn't recline and she went straight to a sofa, love seat and recliner that were all electric, had one button for the feet/legs; one for the back to change the reclining position; one for the lumbar area. It was so comfy and I loved it but there isn't room for the loveseat (it has a console in the middle with a place to stash floss, needles and scissors and it has two cup holders. I liked that idea but it wouldn't fit in the space where I want to put it. In the family room downstairs, there's one area where I can put my chair. The other wall has the TV; the other wall has a fireplace and the other wall . . if I put it there, the magnifying light bothers Vince when he's watching TV so . . the love seat was too long for the spot I have. The recliner was fairly narrow and it would be tight for me to stitch in it with two dogs. We said we would talk about it . . and we did . . but we decided to go to the furniture store closer to our house. It has free delivery (the place in town wanted $150 to deliver) and the place closer to us isn't in the city so there are no city taxes so that saves about 5%.

We got there and they took us to two recliners. The first one had an open space between the two sections of the feet/leg rest. That won't work with the dogs. They will either fall asleep and fall through or be running and jumping and land in the open space and potentially cause a back injury. 

The other recliner seemed perfect!! I went on to look at others because I was hoping to pay less than what they wanted for this one.



We checked out a few others and they weren't great. Vince sat in it and loved it. He talked me into getting this one. Then he was talking about how bad his chair is. Yes, it's as old as the one I was using. It is worn out too. They said they had two still in boxes. Hmm .. we'd have to think about it.

We keep slipcovers on our furniture so I'm not worried about the color or the fabric. It is electric. It has the lumbar support so I can be sitting with my legs propped up AND have the back straight up with extra support.


On both sides, it has the horizontal pocket on both sides - probably for the remove but I can also put TV remotes in there; then there's also a regular pocket just below the horizontal pocket . . on both sides! I can stash my project bag for whatever I'm working on in there so the dogs don't bother it.

It's scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. I'm so hoping this will be the perfect recliner! Really hoping . . because Vince decided he needed on too so we got both of the ones still in boxes. When he paid for them, he said "I just spent more for two chairs than I spent on my first new car!" Yes, that's what I say every time I go to the grocery store!  :)

So hoping we both love these chairs . . and love them for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. What is the brand of chair? I really like the way it looks too. How expensive was it? That is usually the deterrent for me. :( Take care, Kara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!

September 18, 2026 - Another Stitching Chair

  I just had to look at my phone to make sure the date was right! How on earth is the first half of September (plus a few days) already gone...