Since yesterday was our Azure pickup, put the spelt in a bucket this morning and realized it looked a little wimpy. I'm guessing it's because so much of the grain this year has been grown in drought conditions but I wanted to test it and make sure it's ok.
I don't know if you can see it but the grain in the white lid is grain from last year and the grain in the bucket is the new grain.
I figured the best way to test it was to make a tried and true recipe I've made often - Hamburger buns made with hard white wheat and spelt.
I've been having a problem with my right ear - it pops sometimes but this morning it was popping way more than normal. Every step I took, the ear popped. I had just shaped the buns and rolls to rise and decided I should have the doctor look at the ear. I called and the lady said "Can you be here in 30 minutes?" I wanted to say "No! I'm farther away than 30 minutes." But, I said YES because I was about to scream with that ear popping constantly.
I stuck the rolls, that had just started rising, in the fridge and went to see the doctor.
You know sometimes weird things happen to me. The doctor came in and looked in my ear and said "There's a hair in your ear." I thought "Oh, great . . does hair growing in my ears come with old age?" Nope, not growing - just a hair resting on my ear drum and every time I took a step, that hair was kinda like it was beating a drum! They did an "ear flush". Guess where the hair came from! Cooper! It was a Cooper hair in my ear. Who would ever have thought that could happen? Hopefully it never happens again.
Came home, got the rolls out of the fridge, let them rise, baked them and here they are:
Five hamburger buns and four little rolls.
I cut the smallest roll in half, added way too much butter and it was delicious. I love the nutty, buttery flavor of spelt. I love making bread!
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!