Monday, August 17, 2026

Canning Ground Beef

 The way I cook is probably different from how many of you cook but I think my way works so well for us. We have food in jars that I've canned; sometimes it's a "meal in a jar" and sometimes I have to open several jars and combine this and that to create a meal.

Today I canned ground beef, which is one of my favorite things to have in jars. There's so much I can do with a jar of ground beef! We have quarts and pints of canned ground beef canned. 

We have quarts but we were out of pints so that's why I have two days for canning ground beef. Quarts will hold about 2 pounds of ground beef; pints will hold about a pound. The ground beef I have has very little fat so a pound of 80/20 wouldn't yield quite as much meat as does 93/7. I count on getting 1 pound per pint but today, 17 pounds filled 23 pints. I did weight the meat but I'm kinda surprised I got that many jars. 


Probably Thursday I'm going to can about that same amount of ground beef but I will add bell peppers and onions to that second batch, maybe even a few jalapeno peppers.

Meals are so easy when all I have to do is open a jar of already cooked ground beef. Some of the dishes I love using the canned ground beef for are:

  • Pizza - The first time I used canned ground beef for pizza, I was not sure what Vince would think but he said "You would never know it was canned! So . . why defrost ground beef, brown it (and have a skillet to clean), when I can open a jar, drain it and put it on the pizza!
  • Ground Beef with Mushrooms - my favorite! Saute sliced mushrooms in a bit of butter, add a bit of flour to make a roux, pour in a bit of beef broth, add the drained beef from a jar (pint or quart), season to taste. Before serving, add a bit of heavy cream to the gravy. Serve over pasta or rice or mashed potatoes. 
  • Soup - There are so many soups I can make with a jar of ground beef. I can add a jar of beans, a jar of carrots or fresh carrots, shredded cabbage, maybe add pasta or not. I can add taco seasoning, corn, black beans or pinto beans and have taco soup. This site has 24 soups using ground beef. Most of them would work with canned ground beef.
  • Pasta sauce or lasagna.
  • Pioneer Woman has 50 Ground Beef Recipes and many of those would be perfect for canned ground beef.
  • I don't even know if this is something that sounds good to anyone else but I have jars of split pea soup I've canned and sometimes I like to add ground beef to that!
Before I was able to start canning this morning, I still had to clean up the 30 jars of soup I had canned last week. One batch had a bit of siphoning - not even enough to really show that the level was down inside the jar but there was LOTS of grease on the jars so I got those all cleaned up. Thankfully, the ground beef jars aren't greasy at all. Tomorrow I will remove the lids, wipe them down but that will be an easy job, and get them on the shelves.



3 comments:

  1. I have canned a couple jars of ground beef and haven't used them yet. I've heard mixed reviews, so I am still hesitating to use them. Do you mind sharing the soup site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I've heard a few people say they weren't crazy about the canned ground beef but we can't even tell it's been canned. I cook it enough that the meat is no longer clumping together but there still is a bit of pink (the meat is far from being browned), put it into jars, add a bit of salt and fill it with beef broth. The regular canning rules for meat apply.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry about the links. I don't know why my links sometimes don't stay in the posts but they should be there now. Thanks for letting me know they were missing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!

October 3, 2026 - Two More Projects for the Roulette Box

  Two more bags are packed and in the roulette box. It may be months (or days) before I pull something out of the box to start working on. I...