It's been less than two months since I posted about my friend, Denise, passing away. In this post, I mentioned my friend, Sheryl, who had been instrumental in Denise and I meeting and becoming friends. This morning I got the news that Sheryl had passed away last night. In the post about Denise's passing, I talked about Sheryl, who hosted an online quilting group, The Quilting Post. Sheryl and I met at the Houston Quilt Show one year - probably in the late 70's and became instant friends. She lived in south Louisiana and any time she would be passing through Lake Charles, we would try to meet for a meal together; several times I was in Baton Rouge and she would come there and spend time with me.
There were four of us in that online quilting group who ended up becoming close friends - Denise, Sheryl, Susan and myself. Now I'm the only one left! Today I was feeling really sad and then I thought . . Sheryl, Denise and Susan are probably having a grand reunion in heaven and feeling bad for me because I'm left behind! :)
One of the best things about my friendship with Sheryl is that I would never have met Vince except for her. She's the one who decided we could all join Delphi, which was an ancient internet . . I don't even know what you call it . . like AOL but smaller and you had to know at least some DOS to be able to use it. Sheryl somehow knew DOS and gave us a quick "class" and we all joined Delphi. I needed a screen name and Sheryl had preached to us about not using real names. I couldn't think of a name and my perfume bottle was sitting there by the computer - Cabotine - so I used that for my screen name. Vince was online one night and saw my name and thought maybe I was Italian and started talking to me. You see where that chance meeting got us!
So . . another day where the tears fall without warning but I'm a much better person for having had Sheryl as one of my friends. I will miss her.
I went back to our last emails back and forth about a month ago and this is the last thing Sheryl wrote me: "I think about Denise all the time. It’s still such a shock that she’s gone."
Now, I have both of them to think about and miss!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!