Tuesday, September 29, 2026

September 29, 2026 -

 Today felt like a "catch up" day around here. We have a burn pile and it had stacked up so high. We don't burn trash but we burn limbs, spent plants, leaves, etc. We've had a burn ban forever it seems. With the rain we had a week or so ago, it was good but not quite enough to cancel the burn ban but we've had a bit more rain this week. Today Vince called, he was told there are no burn bans in our area so he was able to get the pile burned. 

I make our brown sugar from regular sugar and molasses. I had been needing to make it for a few weeks and was being very stingy with the amount of brown sugar I use but today, as soon as breakfast was done, I made four gallon jars of brown sugar. That should get me through the holidays - hopefully way longer!

There were bags of grains - spelt, hard white, soft white and rye . . it all needed to be put in buckets and sealed. Vince got the lids on the buckets, I dumped the grain into the buckets, labeled them and got the lids on. 

I did make a good recipe today - Pork Chops with Apples.


I meant to take a picture before I filled our plates but I forgot so . . it isn't such a pretty picture but it was delicious.

The recipe calls for it to all be cooked on top of the stove but I didn't want to stay upstairs and watch it so I browned the pork, cooked the onions . . did everything, then put the chops into a 9 x 13 dis, added everything on top and baked it all at 350 for about 45 minutes.

The recipe called for 2 pounds of pork chops. I used almost 5 pounds because I wanted to have leftovers so I pretty much tripled everything else. 

I baked a sweet potato for Vince and a white potato for me so I hadn't planned to make rice but then when I tasted how good that gravy was, I opened a jar or purple rice that I had canned.


It's a recipe I will make again.

No stitching yet today. September is about to end and I haven't finished my project for Blackbird Academy. I think I'll finish it by about October 3 but that's ok . . my October project is smaller and I'd rather borrow some time from October than end up with an unfinished project. I'm surprised that I got as much done as I did in September . . just shows what I can do when I make it a priority!

Tomorrow is my day to stitch with Debbie so when I get off here, I'm going to get everything packed and in the car . . because last week, I was so unorganized. I didn't even have the right project to work on - I had the bag with the floss and the chart was on my tablet but I didn't actually have the piece I had been working on. Thankfully I had brought something to show Debbie and there was a good bit of linen at the bottom and I was able to start something new in that empty space on the linen.

It's almost 5 p.m. now and I'm going to stitch for at least four, maybe five hours tonight. Maybe I'll share a picture of the September Blackbird project before I put all that away tonight . . later . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I read every comment and try to respond to all of them!

September 29, 2026 -

  Today felt like a "catch up" day around here. We have a burn pile and it had stacked up so high. We don't burn trash but we ...